All Tanfoglio And Witness Pistols Forum
All Tanfoglio And Witness Pistols Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Pistols Section
 General Tanfoglio/Witness Discussion
 227 Rounds and Crack
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

steve4102

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2010 :  2:17:34 PM  Show Profile Send steve4102 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Took to the range today to shoot the last of my factory ammo smorgasbord in my 40 Compact. 227 rounds in and the slide cracked again for the third time. What a POS!!!!!

tz75man
Forum Admin

USA
408 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2010 :  4:16:09 PM  Show Profile Send tz75man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Damn Steve, I really feel for you. Something just isn't right.

I live by the rule that it is easier to ask forgiveness than permission when buying my toys!
My right to bear arms protects your right to ban my right
Go to Top of Page

steve4102

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2010 :  6:15:49 PM  Show Profile Send steve4102 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tz75man

Damn Steve, I really feel for you. Something just isn't right.

Something hasn't been right since day one. Problem is all they will do is slap on a new POS slide and send it back, damaged barrel and all. I have tried to talk to a real person at EAA about this, but they will not talk to me. Guess they do not have enough in their Customer Service budget to talk to their customers.

I see no reason to ship this POS back to EAA for the third time! All they are going to do is grab another POS slide off the shelf, slap in on and send it back, then try and have me pay for shipping.

Would be a whole lot simpler for all concerned if they just sent me me a whole boxcar full of slides. I could just slap on a new slide after each range session. Then when the boxcar was empty, I could just order up another one.

Or better yet they could actually talk to me and try and work out a real solution to this problem. Oh, pardon me, I forgot we are talking EAA here, they do not talk to customers,what was I thinkin.
Go to Top of Page

den_stinett

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2010 :  7:07:52 PM  Show Profile  Send den_stinett an AOL message Send den_stinett a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder if the federal "Lemon Lews" apply to guns too !?! I don’t see why not
Three times with the same problem falls under the Lemon Law on most consumer items
Send the whole thing back and demand a WHOLE NEW GUN
Maybe you can find a "Consumer Advocate” in your area that would help you out on this
There's a guy here on one of our local news channels that would get deep into this sort of thing
Just a thought
Shoot safe, Den S
Go to Top of Page

Rod Slinger

USA
1332 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2010 :  9:28:02 PM  Show Profile Send Rod Slinger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steve I am very sorry that you are in the middle of this ordeal. It would be very helpful if you could take a picture of the crack. This would let our readers know where to look. Have all three of the slides cracked in the same location? R S
Go to Top of Page

Southern Forester

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2010 :  9:41:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Southern Forester's Homepage Send Southern Forester a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Could you post a photo of the crack?
Go to Top of Page

Yosemite Sam

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2010 :  12:39:17 PM  Show Profile Send Yosemite Sam a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by den_stinett

I wonder if the federal "Lemon Lews" apply to guns too !?! I don’t see why not
Three times with the same problem falls under the Lemon Law on most consumer items
Send the whole thing back and demand a WHOLE NEW GUN
Maybe you can find a "Consumer Advocate” in your area that would help you out on this
There's a guy here on one of our local news channels that would get deep into this sort of thing
Just a thought
Shoot safe, Den S

I concur. While I am not normally a participating member of our "lawsuit happy" society I think this is one of those situations where the local Attorney General might be interested in hearing about defective guns being sold in his state. Strong arm tactics for sure, but maybe it's time to smack EAA upside the head.

The more I read of this stuff I am almost sorry I gave them money. Mine is a nice gun, but I certainly hope I don't have any problems with it!

-- Sam
Go to Top of Page

steve4102

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2010 :  4:47:00 PM  Show Profile Send steve4102 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Southern Forester

Could you post a photo of the crack?

Hope you can see it. It's about an 1 1/16 inches from the muzzle.
Go to Top of Page

whittlebeast

USA
161 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2010 :  4:55:53 PM  Show Profile Send whittlebeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
see You must be logged in to see this link.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

tekarra
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2010 :  6:43:28 PM  Show Profile Send tekarra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Three cracked slides! I was looking at one last week. Hmmm, have to rethink this.
Go to Top of Page

steve4102

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2010 :  8:52:48 PM  Show Profile Send steve4102 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rod Slinger

It would be very helpful if you could take a picture of the crack. This would let our readers know where to look. Have all three of the slides cracked in the same location? R S

Not the exact same location, but pretty close. They have all cracked about 1 to 1 1/4 inches from the muzzle.

In my experience there is not much to look for, it's all about function. When my slides crack the action is done. It will not cycle and the slide will not move freely. I have my cracked 40 Compact in front of me right now. Even with the barrel and recoil spring removed the slide is extremely hard to slide back and forth. From what I have experienced, if it's cracked, you will know.

Thanks
Steve
Go to Top of Page

Rod Slinger

USA
1332 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2010 :  9:07:09 PM  Show Profile Send Rod Slinger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
whittlebeast & Steve thanks for the pictures. Those who have slides that cracked did they all crack in the same area? Steve did all of yours crack in this same location?

The reason that I ask is this location surprises me. I have had 11 years of training in foundry, heat treat, and machining with International Harvester. My training made me believe that the cracks would be at the slide rails at the ejection port. This would be the result of improper cooling and heat treat. What caused the slide to crack in this location I can not begin to explain. Any input on this would be helpful. If you have an idea on why this location I would love for you to share this with the forum. R S
Go to Top of Page

Detroiter

USA
200 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2010 :  9:29:53 PM  Show Profile Send Detroiter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
RS, When my .45 slide cracked it happened in the same spot. It went all the way around the whole slide with the crack being more pronounced in the very top of the slide on the inside. You could feel the top of the slide on the outside, it felt, well not smooth.

The cracks in this area are what leads me to believe that it's the battery/impact that's causing the break. Hence my persistence on the heavy springs. I could be way off on this.

Out of curiousity RS, did you replace your 10mm springs on your new model prior to shooting it?
Go to Top of Page

Detroiter

USA
200 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2010 :  9:32:54 PM  Show Profile Send Detroiter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and Steve, so sorry of your troubles once again. You've been more than understanding and patient in this situation.
Go to Top of Page

steve4102

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2010 :  06:48:50 AM  Show Profile Send steve4102 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rod Slinger

whittlebeast & Steve thanks for the pictures. Those who have slides that cracked did they all crack in the same area? Steve did all of yours crack in this same location?

The reason that I ask is this location surprises me. I have had 11 years of training in foundry, heat treat, and machining with International Harvester. My training made me believe that the cracks would be at the slide rails at the ejection port. This would be the result of improper cooling and heat treat. What caused the slide to crack in this location I can not begin to explain. Any input on this would be helpful. If you have an idea on why this location I would love for you to share this with the forum. R S

I have no idea, but I do know this. The barrel of my Compact is beat to hell. There are deep grooves on the top and bottom where the muzzle end of the slide and barrel make contact with the slide all the way back. IMO there has to be a lot of unwanted stress or binding to cause a cast slide to put deep groves in a Stainless barrel.

Edited by - steve4102 on 12/14/2010 06:50:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

Rod Slinger

USA
1332 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2010 :  3:11:15 PM  Show Profile Send Rod Slinger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steve and Detroiter....No Detroiter I am shooting my 10 just as I received it new in the box. I wanted to understand what was going on with the new slides. I have had the gun for a year now.

Every thing you read on this post is my opinion and should be taken as such.

I don't believe that any slide should be so fragile as to break regardless if any reasonable recoil spring is used. I do believe the life of any gun can be extended by the correct spring.

The life of a Witness slide should be +50,000 rounds not 300.

I think the design of the new round slide is a poor choice by Tanfoglio not in its own right a defective design.

I am beginning to believe that the problem is the steel Tanfoglio is purchasing for there new slide. This may be the same problem that Beretta had with there guns they supplied our Army with. My understanding is the steel they were using had a high surfer content. Much of the Beretta cracks are similar to the Witness cracks.

I do not see any way the Wonder Finish could affect the cracking one way or the other.

Now back to what I know. This is a Tanfoglio problem and a huge one. Their guns have always been Battle Ship tough. I know members that are shooting 9X23 Dillons in a Witness! Anything but a very strong gun would not hold up to the the Dillon.

As much as we may want to lay this problem on EAA, it is a Tanfoglio problem. That is not to say that EAA has no responsibly. They must do everything in their power to help their customers through this mess.

I don't see a way Tanfoglio or EAA comes out of this short of a recall that takes the defective slides back. My thoughts R S

My 10

Edited by - Rod Slinger on 12/14/2010 3:26:06 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
All Tanfoglio And Witness Pistols Forum © 2000-2009 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.8 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2