All Tanfoglio And Witness Pistols Forum
All Tanfoglio And Witness Pistols Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Tech Tips, Gunsmithing, Reloading and Advice
 Gunsmithing Questions And Answers
 Witness Trigger Job
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

schmeky
Starting Member

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2011 :  6:40:19 PM  Show Profile Send schmeky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As many Witness owners are aware, it can be challenging to perform a quality SA trigger job. The problem has always been the sear catches on the half-cock notch when you finally get the trigger to break perfectly.

Same thing with CZ’s since the actions are nearly identical. I am 99% confident I have solved this problem using all the original lock work. By studying the action carefully, as well as trial and error, I have found a technique that involves removing the right amount of material, from the right location, in the proper amount. The modification is done on a milling machine which mandates the use of carbide cutters since the hammer is hardened.

The results are impressive. I have a Witness in my shop that has achieved a very crisp SA trigger pull. Best of all, the half cock notch does not interfere with the tuning of the action, even though the half cock notch still functions as intended. As an accidental benefit, the action now feels much smoother when cocking the hammer. The modification is relatively inexpensive and I predict a full action tune would run around $75.00 plus shipping sometime in the future.

So I after I perform some function testing and test firing, I may be looking for a “volunteer”, someone that will allow me to perform a full action job on their stock Witness using this technique. There will be no charge other than shipping both ways. The entire action will be machined, smoothed, polished, and tuned to very high degree. All I ask is a brief report on the before and after results.

Here’s a pic of a modified hammer:

gcp

80 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2011 :  04:35:25 AM  Show Profile Send gcp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
schmeky, my email is gcpgcp@yahoo.com. I am interested to being you volunteer for your trigger job and own a new SA Elite Match in 10mm. The pull came right at 5lb 11oz and after 40-60 shots it's dropped to 4lb 8oz, still a bit high but the trigger breaks very crisp with no creep whatsoever. With your method what will the final trigger pull weight be? My preference is a very crisp 3-3.5lbs.

Thanks,
George

Edited by - gcp on 02/18/2011 04:35:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

MTodd5325
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2011 :  8:18:21 PM  Show Profile Send MTodd5325 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My email is MTODD5325@gmail.com and I'm also interested. I have a small frame 9mm Witness which is essentially not broken in at all. It has a heavy trigger (12 to 13 pounds I suspect)and I'd like to clean it up by reducing the DA Pull to a creep free, 5 pounds or so, with a 2.5 to 3 pound crisp let off.
Go to Top of Page

lytninbug
Starting Member

Philippines
8 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  9:13:03 PM  Show Profile Send lytninbug a Private Message  Reply with Quote
schmeky, i too had that problem. but mine usually occurs during the activation and de-activation of the safety. what i did is, tried removing material below the sear catch, its that flat section just to make the sear hook longer. hows your modification by the way, may i know so i can fixed mine instead of buying a new hammer.
Go to Top of Page

celem
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2014 :  11:52:10 PM  Show Profile Send celem a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has your effort moved on to be a service?
Go to Top of Page

celem
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2014 :  11:56:01 PM  Show Profile Send celem a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has your effort moved on to be a service?
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
All Tanfoglio And Witness Pistols Forum © 2000-2009 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.69 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2