All Tanfoglio And Witness Pistols Forum
All Tanfoglio And Witness Pistols Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Pistols Section
 General Tanfoglio/Witness Discussion
 Recommended Recoil Spring Weight Elite Match .40
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dryw

60 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2011 :  3:35:12 PM  Show Profile Send Dryw a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looking for input on appropriate recoil spring weight(s) for my Elite Match .40cal. As I understand it, the factory-provided spring is of the 12# variety. Up until recently Ive been a polymer frame guy. Nothing less than 16#, and usually closer to 20# to help ensure I dont beat the weapon to death. A twelve pound spring makes me a tad edgy. By way of example, my XDM .40 is factory default at 18#. A considerable difference. That said, my questions:

1) Is 12# enough for hot (but factory) loads?
2) Should I consider a 13#, 14#, 16# or higher Wolff simply to decrease wear-and-tear?
3) Downside to a stronger spring weight in the Witness Elite line? Recoil is _not_ an issue. Id imagine my accuracy/follow-up may suffer some, yes?

Thanks in advance.

-Dryw

Edited by - Dryw on 02/24/2011 3:35:48 PM

Rod Slinger

USA
1332 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2011 :  12:29:45 AM  Show Profile Send Rod Slinger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dryw....This is a question that only you can answer. The correct spring weight for you may be wrong for me. It is rapped up in the ammo you shoot, how firmly you grip the handgun to name a few variables. I like a weaker spring in a handgun I am using for self defense, and a stronger spring in a gun used for games. Of course this is if the ammo is the same.
I test a self defense gun by shooting it weak hand only. I will go with the strongest spring that will let me shoot this way.

I would purchase a 16#, 18# and a 20# long slide spring from Wolff Gun Springs and test what will work for you.

Don't be surprised if the accuracy and follow-up improves with the correct spring. A slide slamming into the frame does not lead to ether of these items. R S

Remembering Col. Jeff Cooper

Edited by - Rod Slinger on 02/25/2011 12:31:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

Dryw

60 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2011 :  08:20:59 AM  Show Profile Send Dryw a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Solid advice. I'm definitely going to have to test and try quite a bit before I feel 100% after any change. I suppose I can narrow it down to a technical inquiry:

Based on your collective Elite Match experiences, have you been able to drop a Wolff spring in the longslide that was overly heavy and caused FTLs or FTEs? I'm still reeling a bit with the realization the factory spring is only 12#. Is the default spring lighter as an offset to the heavier slide weight/length?
Go to Top of Page

Rod Slinger

USA
1332 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2011 :  3:46:56 PM  Show Profile Send Rod Slinger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dryw,,,I am running an 18# spring in my 40 S&W. Match. As I have said this may or may not be right for you. A word caution, do not cut coils off of a recoil spring to change the poundage. This is always a bad idea. R S

Remembering Col. Jeff Cooper
Go to Top of Page

Dryw

60 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2011 :  5:35:15 PM  Show Profile Send Dryw a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the specifics Rod. grabbed a #14 and a #16 from Wolff today. Start low and work my way up... see what feels best.

Edited by - Dryw on 02/25/2011 5:43:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dryw

60 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2011 :  11:26:40 PM  Show Profile Send Dryw a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Forgot to ask Rod: did you change out any of the other springs (hammer, etc) in conjunction with your strengthened recoil spring?

I'd prefer to mess about with those as little as possible, just to make it easier on myself.
Go to Top of Page

Rod Slinger

USA
1332 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2011 :  4:58:48 PM  Show Profile Send Rod Slinger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dryw.....I see no need to make any changes beyond the recoil spring. Let us know how these changes work for you. R S
Go to Top of Page

Dryw

60 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2011 :  5:41:50 PM  Show Profile Send Dryw a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rod. I'll keep you posted.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
All Tanfoglio And Witness Pistols Forum © 2000-2009 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2