All Tanfoglio And Witness Pistols Forum
All Tanfoglio And Witness Pistols Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Pistols Section
 General Tanfoglio/Witness Discussion
 Scopes, red dots....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

whittlebeast

USA
161 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2011 :  9:18:09 PM  Show Profile Send whittlebeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recently got into shooting. I have two guns that I am trying to master. The first is a Tanfoglio Match. The other is a CX4 Beretta. Both guns are known for being extremely accurate. My goal is to first get good at the range at 15 to 25 yards with the EAA and use the CX4 from 25 yards out to about 75 yards.

The problem that I never dreamed was a vision issue. What I have found is that I am finding that I can not see iron sites and the target with the same set of glasses. I am pushing 54 and this is not going to get better.

What I have found is that 25 yards and under, the red dot stuff works fairly well. Past that distance I am better off with magnification. The inexpensive red dots do not appear to hold settings very well. On the CX4 it appears some sort of say 3-9x adjustable scope would be better. I have no idea if the lighted stuff would be better than a simple cross hair type scope. I would think that having the ability to focus would help. I am near sided in my shooting eye.

I have noticed that several pros appear to be using lots of CMore red dots on the race pistols. The real thing is like $275 The fake stuff is way cheaper.

For the CX4 the scope needs to be a pistol scope to work as your eye is a fair distance from the scope.

So the bottom line is, I am open to advice and suggestions.

AW

Edited by - whittlebeast on 03/14/2011 06:39:04 AM

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

tz75man
Forum Admin

USA
408 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2011 :  10:00:57 PM  Show Profile Send tz75man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You might take a look at the Burris Fastfire2. These have great reviews and all though still not cheap (less than $200) They are rated right up with several of the high dollar ones.

I live by the rule that it is easier to ask forgiveness than permission when buying my toys!
My right to bear arms protects your right to ban my right
Go to Top of Page

whittlebeast

USA
161 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2011 :  06:31:44 AM  Show Profile Send whittlebeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You must be logged in to see this link.

A friend likes these for the cx4 type guns...

Keep in mind that my CX4 is 9mm so the range is limited to about 100 yards max and 75 may be a better practical limit.

Edited by - whittlebeast on 03/14/2011 06:37:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

whittlebeast

USA
161 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2011 :  09:44:03 AM  Show Profile Send whittlebeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote

A friend likes these...
Go to Top of Page

jerryg22
Starting Member

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2011 :  12:52:59 PM  Show Profile Send jerryg22 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Keep in mind that magnification will amplify every little shake and movement. There are some 2X red dots (Truglo makes a decent one). The C-more will have a large dot for that distance. What will you be shooting at, bullseye target, silhouette target, etc.? Do you really feel that the match is not good for 50 yards?

Jerry the G
Go to Top of Page

whittlebeast

USA
161 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2011 :  1:31:02 PM  Show Profile Send whittlebeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At this point I am about a 4" circle at 15 yards shooting off hand and iron sights. My bet is it will take me a wile to get to 50 yards with it.

see You must be logged in to see this link. That was off the iron sites.

I will see how that tightens up with better vision. Still trying to home in on the real issue. I had my reddot on the cx4 at the same 15 yards and I was holding about 1 inch dia. I have never tried the Tanfoglio with the mount at the range. My kid had had the EAA with him at the farm this weekend....

see You must be logged in to see this link.

Edited by - whittlebeast on 03/14/2011 3:56:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

jerryg22
Starting Member

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2011 :  3:51:54 PM  Show Profile Send jerryg22 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My eyes are not great either. I rely on my red dot for .22 matches, but for my centerfire matches they do not allow red dots so I purchased an adjustable iris gizmo from Campionshooters.com. It fits over my glasses and really sharpens the iron sights for me.

Not cheap, but really works!

Jerry the G
Go to Top of Page

whittlebeast

USA
161 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2011 :  3:58:31 PM  Show Profile Send whittlebeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At this point being legal for competition is not really a concern. I just want to get to the point that I can do competition like shooting at the farm.

AW
Go to Top of Page

whittlebeast

USA
161 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2011 :  5:22:51 PM  Show Profile Send whittlebeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I popped for a Burris Fastfire2. I hope I like it.

see You must be logged in to see this link.

AW

Edited by - whittlebeast on 03/19/2011 5:25:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

whittlebeast

USA
161 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2011 :  5:03:24 PM  Show Profile Send whittlebeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I went to the range today to try out the new Burris red dot. I was absolutely amazed at the difference in accuracy compared to open sites. At 40 feet, I bet my accuracy tripled. This was the longest shot that this range allowed.

At the range I normally shoot at, they do not allow shooting faster than 1 shot every 3 sec. At this range I tried to shoot at 20 feet and fire as fast as I could acquire the target. At about one shot per sec, and I was holding about a 4" circle at his this distance and speed for 10 shots. I was plenty happy with that.

I highly recommend this option for anyone with vision issues as you can see the target and the sites at the same time with the same glasses.

Have fun shooting

Andy

Edited by - whittlebeast on 03/27/2011 6:12:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

whittlebeast

USA
161 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2011 :  8:38:18 PM  Show Profile Send whittlebeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote

That was at 40 feet
Go to Top of Page

tz75man
Forum Admin

USA
408 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2011 :  10:32:11 PM  Show Profile Send tz75man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Damn! very impressive!

I live by the rule that it is easier to ask forgiveness than permission when buying my toys!
My right to bear arms protects your right to ban my right
Go to Top of Page

whittlebeast

USA
161 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  1:50:09 PM  Show Profile Send whittlebeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am starting to feel a little better about this shooting Freehand. This was at 15 yards.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Rod Slinger

USA
1332 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  6:01:22 PM  Show Profile Send Rod Slinger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know of a lot of shooters that would give anything to shoot that well. Looks like Andy is another happy Witness owner! R S
Go to Top of Page

whittlebeast

USA
161 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  6:31:06 PM  Show Profile Send whittlebeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The funny thing is this thing is so smooth that at the end of shooting 17 rounds, your hands barely even notice it. Shoot 5 rounds of 38 special from the wife's 12 oz J frame and you are thinking I may be done....

Rod was one of the guys that kept me motivated to keep improving. At this point I dry fire (with a snap cap) the gun about 20 times a nite with a laser in a 2" circle at 40 feet. It really helps. I am averaging about 60 live rounds at the range every couple of weeks. For those just getting started (like I was 6 months ago) get a GOOD reddot and a very solid mount for it. And practice, and practice, and practice. 500 rounds ago, I was holding a 6" circle at 45 feet.

Now I am working on the 9 mm Beretta cx4 at 50 years with a 1x reddot. Right now I am in the 4" range with only resting my front hand on a table. No lead bag at this point.

Yep, quite happy.

AW

For comparison, this was just 4 weeks ago on iron sites.

Edited by - whittlebeast on 04/03/2011 6:36:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

Rod Slinger

USA
1332 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  11:54:08 PM  Show Profile Send Rod Slinger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Andy I may have pointed the way but you did the work. Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated. R S
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
All Tanfoglio And Witness Pistols Forum © 2000-2009 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2