All Tanfoglio And Witness Pistols Forum
All Tanfoglio And Witness Pistols Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Pistols Section
 General Tanfoglio/Witness Discussion
 41AE AMMO ??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pistolpete
Starting Member

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2011 :  05:43:25 AM  Show Profile Send pistolpete a Private Message  Reply with Quote
what is 41AE ammo & what is it's availability?

i'm interested in buying some older Tanfoglios & this ammo choice comes up occasionally.

Thnax
PP

Detroiter

USA
200 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2011 :  10:52:41 PM  Show Profile Send Detroiter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From what I've heard the 41AE no longer is manufactured by the big bullet makers. I did some looking for you and reedsammo.com has it. It's not cheap though at $75.00 per 50rds. Unless your into casting and reloading, may not be worth it. You'd spend more in ammo than the pistol real quick.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure that the .41AE Tanfoglios can be converted to 9mm or .40 with just a barrel swap. It might be more of a nice novelty/collectors item, than a frequent range shooter.

I honestly don't know a whole lot about the round itself. I think I have read before that it's a rather powerful round.
Go to Top of Page

flareside_ford

88 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2011 :  3:53:19 PM  Show Profile Send flareside_ford a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The .41AE (Action Express) is an earlier attempt to get a more powerful round in a 9mm sized platform. The round used .410 diameter bullets and has a rebated rim. The rim is the same size as 9mm. It operates at 35000 psi the same as the .40 S&W. In fact my Lee reloading manual says the data for .40 S&W is suitable for .41 AE. I think the .41 is probably the better round because it allows a caliber change with only a barrel, recoil spring, and mag. I beleive it died because it wasn't adopted by any major police department or military and then along came the .40 with virtually identical ballistics for the FBI. Fyi there is also a 9mm AE which is the .41 AE case necked to 9mm.
Go to Top of Page

xzqzq
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2012 :  05:48:20 AM  Show Profile Send xzqzq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Newby here... unfamiliar with either Tanfoglio pistols, or .41AE...can swap 9mm barrel ? How about 7.62 X 25 Tokarov ? Good pistols ? Thanks, George
Go to Top of Page

xzqzq
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2012 :  05:50:21 AM  Show Profile Send xzqzq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, forgot to mention I'm totally into casting & reloading, so odd-ball calibers not a problem, as long as I can get dies & molds.
Go to Top of Page

Rod Slinger

USA
1332 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2012 :  10:13:39 PM  Show Profile Send Rod Slinger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am with you on the love of casting and reloading. My friends have said the only reason I shoot is so I can have cases to load. For me the 41AE is a bridge too for. R S
Go to Top of Page

Jessie James 58
Starting Member

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  12:10:30 PM  Show Profile Send Jessie James 58 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can also use the lighter bullets, for the 41 Mag in your loadings. I believe the 41 AE is still being used in Israel for their UZI's.
Go to Top of Page

k-g

92 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2012 :  6:25:53 PM  Show Profile Send k-g a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xzqzq

Newby here... unfamiliar with either Tanfoglio pistols, or .41AE...can swap 9mm barrel ? How about 7.62 X 25 Tokarov ? Good pistols ? Thanks, George

This is the second most copied design in the world I think, and only Norinco (probably) didn't ask Tanfoglio for help :).
Shooters are usually pretty happy with their CZ's, Tanfo's and licenses/clones, with the regular exception of the Jericho/Baby Eagle
in my experience.

I answered partly here about conversions:
You must be logged in to see this link.

Even though Springfield/Tanfoglio made briefly the small frame in .45 ACP, Tanfoglio decided that a scaled up gun was needed for bigger and longer ctges (.45 and 38 Super; the "small frame" .45 I saw at the time had a very thin barrel).
Tanfoglio produced both guns for a while but eventually dropped the small one.

The Tokarev round might still be too long, at least with factory ammo, and I can't remember any mention of a 7,62 barrel for that design.

Edited by - k-g on 09/25/2012 10:14:28 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
All Tanfoglio And Witness Pistols Forum © 2000-2009 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.55 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2