All Tanfoglio And Witness Pistols Forum
All Tanfoglio And Witness Pistols Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Tech Tips, Gunsmithing, Reloading and Advice
 Reloading
 Help with 180gr reloads and 800X for Hunter
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

22 Mag
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2011 :  6:37:43 PM  Show Profile Send 22 Mag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have just purchased my first EAA fire arm and it was a Hunter model in 10mm.
I have reloaded Rifle for many years, but this will be my first year for Pistol.
I have looked at other forums reloading sections and have narrowed my powder choices down to Power Pistol and 800X.
If any one has some good starting loads for the 800x please give me some help. My Quickload program has no information on 800x, but good information on the Power Pistol.
I have gotten very good groups with 9.8 grs of PP and Rainer Plated 165gr HP bullets.
The best groups I have gotten with 165 gr Remington Golden Saber has been with 10.0 gr of PP.
I have heard the 800X works better with the 180gr bullets, but I need a starting point.
Oh by the way I love the Hunter, it is fun to shoot, but I had to change the recoil spring out for a 22lb spring from Wolfe.

New updates:
I have worked up a load with 180gr Rainier bullets and LONGSHOT, The best 10 shot group I have was 1.6 inches wide and 2.4 inches tall at 25 yards with only my wrist touching the sandbag rest.
The load I used was 9.8 grs of Longshot with the 180 gr bullets which gave a average speed of 1350 fps at 10 feet. The cases landed anywhere from 4 ft to 15 ft from the gun. The 22 lb spring really helps tame the recoil and now I have less lost cases.

22 Mag
If you want to use my loading data please start 10% lower and work up.

Happiness is not having every thing you want, Happiness is wanting every thing you have.

Edited by - 22 Mag on 11/08/2011 1:19:16 PM

Rod Slinger

USA
1338 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  9:13:34 PM  Show Profile Send Rod Slinger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
22 Mag.....No one has responded to your request for load data on the 10mm. The reason I don't respond to load data requests on this or other forums, is I do not want the possibility of my making a mistake to cause you or your gun harm.

What I can do is tell you how I decide on powder for a new caliber. I use no fewer than 3 loading manuals and You must be logged in to see this link. to help me make a decision. I look at the top 3 powders that have the highest velocity and start my search there. Although I may not be interested in pushing the bullet at top velocities, these powders will usually give the best performance from mid velocity upward. Hope you find this some what helpful. R S

Remembering Col. Jeff Cooper
Go to Top of Page

22 Mag
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2011 :  5:55:21 PM  Show Profile Send 22 Mag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rod

I am still working on the starting loads with the 800X.
I will post what I find out.
22 Mag

Happiness is not having every thing you want, Happiness is wanting every thing you have.
Go to Top of Page

jim b.
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2012 :  12:14:24 PM  Show Profile Send jim b. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have the original, first edition of EAA's 10mm Hunter pistol (coned barrel, rounded trigger guard, muzzle end of slide, which is attached to barrel, stays stationary as slide retracts during recoil...). I've worked out some very good hunting loads for my pistol, using Speer Gold Dot 155 grain bullets, and 800X propellant, and I've taken a deer with this load, which worked out great. This 800X load is speedy (1,550 fps), but I cannot remember the amount of 800X in my load. I also developed another load, same bullet (which I love), using Blue Dot propellant (again, can't remember how much). The Blue Dot load is slower (about 1,400 fps?).

I got my deer at about 70 yds. Deer was standing, quartering toward my right. Bullet entered its right shoulder. I recovered the perfectly mushroomed bullet from just under its skin by its last rib on its left side. So, the bullet traveled diagonally through the deer's chest. The deer ran about 50 yds. & fell. Very gratifying.

Use a chronograph to monitor your load, and safely work your way up, of course. You may want to install a recoil spring heavier than the factory spring, but that increases the slide velocity as it closes. To reduce opening AND closing shock of the pistol, I use the factory recoil spring, but I've installed a Buffer Technologies recoil buffer. Have fun.

Jim
Go to Top of Page

Rod Slinger

USA
1338 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2012 :  5:49:40 PM  Show Profile Send Rod Slinger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jim thanks for the report. You and the Hunter have got your game on! R S

Go to Top of Page

Bongo Boy
Starting Member

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2012 :  11:59:20 AM  Show Profile Send Bongo Boy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see that Hornady's only online published load with a 155 and 800X is using the XTP bullet and 9.8 gr of 800X, giving 1,350 fps. But, typical of some other data (notably for 45ACP), Hornady's published maximums are somewhat low on the pressure side, it seems. This load just mentioned is rated at just 30,000 psi.

While this thread is somewhat old, I have a Hunter on its way and will be a loading fool here as soon as I get brass delivered. I was planning on using what I have on hand, however, and for 10mm that's limited to Titegroup, 231/HP38 and SR4756. I'll be sure to post whatever I chrono using these powders. My experience with Longshot has not been good and I sure won't be using it again for anything at all, but 800X I've not tried. I'm very hopeful for both HP38 and 4756, which in 40SW and 45ACP have been quite nice. The fast guys such as Clays and Solo 1000 seem like they'd be very sweet in 10mm at low to medium velocities, but there's nothing published for them I'm aware of.

Has anyone had success with cast bullets in the stock barrel?

Edited by - Bongo Boy on 12/26/2012 12:55:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

Rod Slinger

USA
1338 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2012 :  12:53:28 PM  Show Profile Send Rod Slinger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bongo Boy.....Welcome to the family. WoW a Witness Hunter, I am green with envy. I have shot a lot of cast bullets in my Omega 10mm with great success back in the day when I was shooting the combat games. The bullets were 200 gr. The mix was 3 parts lead to one part linotype. They were loaded to under 1000 ft per second. The Hunter should be able to shoot lead. The trick is to cast a bullet tough enough to hold the rifing with a good lube. Hope this helps. R S

Edited by - Rod Slinger on 12/26/2012 12:54:45 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
All Tanfoglio And Witness Pistols Forum © 2000-2009 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.48 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2