All Tanfoglio And Witness Pistols Forum
All Tanfoglio And Witness Pistols Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Pistols Section
 General Tanfoglio/Witness Discussion
 45 ACP VS 10mm
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tz75man
Forum Admin

USA
408 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2012 :  6:10:52 PM  Show Profile Send tz75man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, when money allows, I think I'm going to get a conversion for my 9mm Poly. I'm wanting the shorter slide as the new conversion will be for Personal carry only, not pleasure or target shooting. I'm really leaning towards the 10mm which would also allow me to do a 40 S+W conversion (just barrel and mag) later if I want to. I also like the more capacity of the 10mm compared to the 45 acp (15 +1 VS 10 +1). Both are excellent self defense rounds, but I'm interested in the opinions of others on this forum. Comments anyone?

I live by the rule that it is easier to ask forgiveness than permission when buying my toys!
My right to bear arms protects your right to ban my right

Jessie James 58
Starting Member

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2012 :  09:06:42 AM  Show Profile Send Jessie James 58 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have 45s, 9MM and 10MM all are very good rounds, But I like the 10MM the most. They are very accurate and very powerful.
This is from Wikipedia.
Performance
Colt Delta Elite At full potential, the 10mm Auto produces energy a bit higher than an average .357 Magnum load and below standard .41 Magnum rounds. The cartridge is considered to be high-velocity, giving it a less-curved flight path ("flat-shooting") relative to other handgun cartridges. In its lighter loadings, the 10mm Auto is an exact duplicate of the .40 S&W cartridge. More powerful loadings can equal or exceed the performance of the .357 Magnum, and retain more kinetic energy at 100 yards than the .45 ACP has at the muzzle.[13]

Some commercial loadings are as follows:

.357 Magnum: 676 ft·lbf (917 J) for 180 gr (12 g) @ 1,300 ft/s (400 m/s)[14]
10mm Auto: 750 ft·lbf (1,020 J) for 200 gr (13 g) @ 1,300 ft/s (400 m/s)[15]
.41 Magnum: 938 ft·lbf (1,272 J) for 250 gr (16 g) @ 1,300 ft/s (400 m/s)[16]
The loads listed above are from a boutique manufacturer of high performance ammunition and are about maximum for S.A.A.M.I. established pressure levels in each cartridge. Free recoil energy of the full-power loads listed are 10.1, 12.1, and 22.9 ft·lbf (13.7 J, 16.4 J, and 31.0 J) respectively for these cartridges, computed assuming a 40 ounce (2.5 lb, 1.15 kg) handgun.

Most major ammunition manufacturers offer 10mm load closer in performance to the "F.B.I. Load" than the full power 10mm; these still contain sufficient power for defense applications, but their recoil is more comparable to the .45 ACP in similar guns. A few smaller companies offer full-power ammunition for this chambering. With the appropriate load, the 10mm is a capable medium game hunting cartridge at moderate handgun ranges.

[edit] Usage
Tanfoglio T95 Combat/EAA Witness Steel with Wonder Finish The 10mm Auto is suitable for hunting medium-sized game at moderate ranges, is certainly more than adequate for defensive or tactical use, and is one of the few true semi-automatic, rimless cartridges that is legal for hunting white-tailed deer in many U.S. states.[17][18] Author Chuck Hawks stated:

"The most commonly available, reasonably portable, autoloader that might serve our purpose is the Glock Model G20, chambered for the 10mm Auto (.40 caliber) cartridge. The G-20 is as reliable as a powerful auto gets and relatively compact. This pistol comes with a 4.6" barrel, is 7.59" in overall length and weighs only 26.28 ounces. In recent years Glock has promoted the G20 as a hunting pistol. The EAA Witness DA autoloader is also offered in 10mm Auto and the Colt Delta Elite version of the 1911 Government Model used to be. There are probably others of which I am unaware."[19]
Today, the 10mm Auto cartridge is generally used to fend off medium-sized dangerous animals, as a high-powered defense caliber, and for hunting, especially by those who prefer the flatter carry profile and higher cartridge capacity of an automatic pistol versus a magnum revolver.[17] It makes Major ranking in I.P.S.C., even in lighter loadings.[20]

Despite the F.B.I. switching to the .40 S&W, there are still a number of law enforcement agencies that continue to issue the 10mm including the Albuquerque J.P.D. and the Anniston P.D. as well as in Canada, where the Alberta Sheriffs employ it in the Glock 20.

The Government of Denmark has issued the Glock 20 pistol chambered for the 10mm Auto cartridge to members of the Sirius Patrols in Greenland.[21] The pistols were issued as a defense against polar bears which the patrols encounter.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
All Tanfoglio And Witness Pistols Forum © 2000-2009 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.15 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2